Truthful Tuesday...Rest is needed



It's important to be heroic, ambitious, productive, efficient, creative, and progressive, but these qualities don't necessarily nurture the soul. The soul has different concerns, of equal value: downtime for reflection, conversation, and reverie; beauty that is captivating and pleasuring; relatedness to the environs and to people; and any animal's rhythm of rest and activity.

~Thomas Moore (1779 - 1852)


Ever had someone flatter you to the point of blushing? Well today I did, he is older man, a man whom I respect, one who has known my husband since he was 18months old, our asthma doctor. He made me blush! Really! So I am running with a theme week that I had not planned but was reminded today by my asthma doctor how important it is to REST.

To continue with making me blush, he sat down looked me right in the eyes and said, "Wow you look so calm and healthy". Now please know that most times that I see him I have two children in tow, who are at each other like a cat and dog stuck in a car for days, or one of them is sick and I have to bring them both in fear of missing pick up afterschool. To say the least I am almost never "not" stressed out when I see him. So today it was "my" appointment and my time, unrushed and unhurried by a deadline. It was a pleasant surprise to have such a nice complement given to me on my day off, my day to kind of rest.


Again I was reminded by a few simple and kind words how having rest can change the way a person comes across to others. And to be honest I was reminded that I need to have rest to be a "heroic, ambitious, productive, efficient, creative, and progressive" mother, wife and friend!





Comments

Amazing how even going to the doctors by yourself can make you feel rested.

Popular Posts