December 2, 2012

And it begins....

...the holiday season has begun! For many stores it started right after Halloween (some earlier), but for me it starts today. 
Each year Christmas decorating is a week long process with new challanges with each rubbermaid tote I open filled with my decorations.  For me this is the best part of the holidays. With each item removed, I look at it and decide where I will place it this year, or think of who might have made it, who gave it to me or why it is special to me. This is my Christmas morning!!
Decorating being one of the best parts I also love activities like the ones we had today, these make it a very7 special time of year.  We started the day off with Breakfast with Santa at the boys school.  A great simple breakfast and a chance meeting with Old Saint Nicholas (Emily's grandfather).
Can I add... that this year our 10yr old declined to talk with Santa! ??Oh No!!!
After the Breakfast, our 10yo had to turn his hat around and become one of the servers at the breakfast. A wonderful learning opportunity and pretty cool fund~ raiser for his class.
He seemed to have a great time, as did his classmates.
Then we looked around the craft fair, bought a few gifts and talked to folks we had not seen in awhile. (Being pulled by my son to leave) we headed home to prepare for the next activity of the day.
The town tree lighting & fire department open house. Living in such a small community this is a well attended event, so being one of the Boy Scout Troop leaders I should be there with my scout. Our boy scouts passed out free hot coco while the high school select band played christmas music. The passing of coco lasted about 30 minutes for them, then they were bored.
At 6 we headed outside to await the arrival of Santa on a fire truck. The tree was lit and the choirs sung. It was all very nice & seeping of small town charm.

The day was long but filled with memories for the boys and for me.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home