May 5, 2011

I'm I a Mother's Day Chicken?

A mother is a person who seeing there
are only 4 pieces of pie for 5 people,
promptly announces she never did care for pie.
-Tenneva Jordan

I read this quote on a twitter post of a friend.  I liked it so much I wanted to use it for mothers day, so here I am doing just that.  I also wanted to write something prolific for Mother's Day, but could not gather my thoughts beyond what I know as a mother.  Then I posted on my facebook status the other night the following. ( ....if my hubby even thinks of bringing home KFC on mothers day (as they suggested) he is doomed).  I wrote that after watching TV alone on a Tuesday night, and I really thought, man how could KFC suggest that they are a great alternative to a home cooked meal or a nice dinner out?    I got a few suggestions from friends via facebook, about places that they could take me like Taco Bell or a really nice place I would NEVER take my children in fear on major embarrassment (it's a nice place).  Then suggestions on how KFC has "bangin biscuits" or "what if it's the extra crispy?"!  I had to laugh! 

Then there was a comment from a gal from high school that hit me like a twobyfour "this may sound harsh Jenny for that I apologize. I would take the KFC from a husband and children because I don't have eiither.", she was right, why should I be soo choosy?  Why should I care where we go for Mother's Day, when I have a family to go out with? I did let that gal know that she was right and that should be grateful for what I do have!

So I moved forward and was looking up the advertisement for KFC, where they mentioned bring mom in for Mother's Day, which I could not find.  I did however stumble upon the following contest on the KFC website that ran in 2009.  My jaw dropped.

 http://www.kfc.com/mothersday/
Everyone celebrates Mom on Mother's Day. This year, KFC wants to salute those showcasing their love for their mothers 365 days a year by sporting a mom-themed tattoo. If you're communicating your love for mom in a permanent and visible way, KFC wants to reward you and your mom!  Show Us Your Mom Tattoo. You Can Win Free Chicken for a Year!   
WOW - I was thinking KFC could be an option for mother's day, but sporting a mom-themed tattoo to win FREE chicken?  What the heck?  Who are they trying to grab?  What are they thinking?  I am not sure many moms would be super thrilled about a tattoo on their child, let alone ahring it for all to see for $10 in chicken coupons for a year?  I have a tattoo and I know my mother was not thrilled, nor was my husbands mom, I am sure they would be less then thrilled to hear about it being on the Internet!!
 
Again another Holiday ruined by commericalism.  I am thrilled with a handmade card from my boys, the same thing I did for my MOM for many years.  Silly treasures I made with her in mind, I am sure where the end all of her Mother's Day.   A simple breakfast and time with my family on Mother's Day the best gift ever.  It is not about where, but more importantly with whom.  So I reflect on the up coming day and try and remind myself, that is more about who I am to others.  And not what others give me on that one day but what they give me everyday.

But before I say HAPPY MOTHER'S Day to you all, I would like to quote one of my husbands favorite movies "Oh I hated the Colonel, with 'is wee beady eyes! And the smug look on his face, "oh, you're gonna buy my chicken!" ohhhh!...because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes ya crave it fortnightly, smartarse!" Stuart MacKenzie ~ I married an Axe Murderer

So I married an Axe Murderer - Check out this clip for a good laugh!



Have a Great Mother's Day, no matter where you go to celebrate!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home