WAKE UP WEDNESDAY

Wake up! WAKE UP??

Today was one of those days where I just knew before anyone awoke that there would be no school. Expecting the unexpected. Weather is always one of those little things in life we cannot expect, because as Mark Twain put it "If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a few minutes." And here I am living in New England. I cannot remember the last time there was a fair amount of snow before Christmas, let alone a white Christmas.

Expecting the unexpected in weather is normal. But is it when it comes to us awaiting the coming of the Lords Child Jesus Christ? I am not sure? It seems as though we all wait for this amazing day and share so much leading up to it both monetarily and spiritually. We prepare our homes and hearts for this birthday, more then any other day of the year, but what are we expecting? Are we anticipating too much? I guess it all depends on what your expectations of Christmas are. If you are trying to tone down your monetary giving and increase your spiritual gifts, then your expectations of Christmas should be on target. If you are out spending what you do not have, racking up debit, buying way to many things for many people, some of whom you see only once a year and in general your priorities are getting away from what is being asked of us by God.



The Lord is asking us to give of ourselves, our hearts and our talents. Give till it hurts. Sacrifice of yourself this Christmas season, this does not mean with money, give whole heartedly and spiritually. Go beyond the box of normal giving. The few days before Christmas, I would like to pack up toys and bring them to the local Children’s hospital for those who are not going to be home this year. Then, the week after Christmas I am looking into packing up toys with my boys and bringing them to a few local charities. I am going to pack up clothes, sweaters and other items to give as well. I also have a new year’s plan to do this type of giving drive three times a year, not just when it is needed. I have a plan of action to give more this coming year, which is big, because I did the same thing last year. In another entry I will write about some of the local giving opportunities there are as well as some national programs you might be interested in.



Start Simple. Look Locally and From the Heart.

What is your plan?

 
 
 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Twain

Comments

Popular Posts